Gluten Free Patty Melt

 Who doesn't like a good burger every now and then? I for for one like to enjoy a good patty melt every now and then. One of the challenges of being gluten free is that sometimes its hard to find foods that actually taste good. Like so good you forget it is gluten free. This burger made me forget I was eating gluten free. It was a delight to my taste buds. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did...

Gluten Free Patty Melt

recipe by: Julie Hodges

Onions: sauté some chopped purple onions in a tbsp. of Earth Balance Soy Free Butter Spread or your favorite butter product that is gluten free. Before the onions are completely done mix in a tbsp. of Sir Kensington's special sauce. Finish sautéing the onions and set aside.

Meat: Press the ground beef into patties. I prefer thin patties when making a patty melt but any thickness will do. Sprinkle freshly ground pink Himalayan salt and black peppercorns on each patty. Then place the patties in a skillet and cook over medium heat or toss on a grill, add one or two drops of Lea and Perrins Worcestershire sauce on each burger patty and  cook it like you would any other burger. Once it is done drain off any excess grease that is left on it. 

Gluten free bread: I chose The Essential Baking Company Deli Sliced Classic White bread lightly toasted in a toaster that is exclusively used for gluten bread products only. Substitute any gluten free bread or bun that you'd like.

Sauce: Sir Kensington's special sauce. I mixed this sauce into the caramelized purple onions as it was sautéing but I also added a squeeze of sauce roughly a tsp. to the top of the burger patty when assembling the melt. 

Cheese: Beecher's Sliced Marco Polo Cheese. This cheese has a bold black pepper flavor that really balances out the patty melt. You could substitute a different cheese or omit if desired. I chose not to melt my slice and just added it to the warm toast and patty.

Optional Toppings: iceberg lettuce-most patty melts do not include lettuce but I was feeling it when I made these patty melts. Sautéed mushrooms could potentially be a great additional ingredient.

There you have a delicious gluten free patty melt that is sure to please so good you just might forget it is gluten free. Yum!

Pictures by Julie Hodges

Comments

Popular Posts