Chemex Coffee

Who doesn’t love a hot cup of Joe? I know I sure do. Over the years, I have tried many different types of makers always coming back to one in particular-my Chemex. It is by far my favorite coffee maker. I have used a Chemex for over a decade now and love the flavors it gives off. Start with selecting a good whole bean. I prefer Kuma Coffee and Stumptown beans, both give off a superb flavor. I personally prefer a light roast. It packs more of a punch than a darker roast since it contains more caffeine. I think a light roast pairs well with the Chemex pour over brew method. It is simple, clean, and easy to use. Just remember to weigh everything. Chemex are sold at a variety of retailers.

Chemex Coffee

servings: 8 cups


Supplies:
  • whole bean coffee
  • a conical burr grinder
  • a Chemex maker
  • paper Chemex filters
  • a kettle, preferable a pour over with a goose neck
  • an accurate scale


Instructions:

First select your coffee, preferable whole bean. Weigh out your beans and grind it on a medium coarse setting. I set my Baratza Encore to a 20-grind setting. The 8-cup Chemex uses 42 grams of medium course ground coffee beans. Be sure to weigh the whole beans before grinding. Boil some hot water between 190-205 degrees in a pour over kettle such as the Fellow Stagg kettle. I prefer a light bean and  for my water to be around 190 degrees.

When the water is almost heated up place the paper filter in the Chemex and pour some water through the filter to rinse the filter off and to warm the Chemex maker. Then pour out the excess water and place the ground beans inside the paper filter. Place the Chemex on an accurate scale and zero it out in grams. Once the water reaches your desired temperature begin slow pouring 60 grams of hot water onto the coffee and allow it to sit for 30 seconds so the coffee can bloom, which expels the gases. Continue slow pouring until you reach 700 grams total weight. Allow the coffee to slow drip through the filter and enjoy.

How to Make Chemex Coffee


Pictures, video, and post created by Julie Hodges

Comments

Popular Posts