Southern Style Green Beans

Southern Style Green Beans

Green beans are a vegetable loved by many that can be cooked and prepared a variety of ways. I developed this recipe because I want my green beans to have a great southern style flavor. I use canned green beans but fresh or frozen work too. For my southern style green bean recipe make sure you use extra virgin olive oil because any other oil will change the flavor. You can decide how much olive oil to add. As for the bacon, I like to cut the raw bacon with scissors right into the skillet and then cook the bacon bits but if you want to save time just microwave the bacon and then break it into pieces, or just drop in some uncooked bacon and let it cook with the beans. If you plan on eating the bacon, I suggest precooking it before adding it to the green beans. I also recommend yellow onions as they compliment the other flavors. I slice my onions into rings but they could also be chopped. The photos are of my actual green beans. The recipe is below.





Southern Style Green Beans

 recipe by: Julie Hodges

Ingredients:
  • 2 cans of green beans
  • 3 pieces of cooked chopped bacon 
  • 1/2 medium onion cut into rings or chopped
  • extra virgin olive oil
  • salt
  • pepper
Directions:
Cook 3 pieces of thick cut sliced bacon. In a pot, skillet, or microwave bowl, pour in 2 cans of green beans, add the extra virgin olive oil, salt, pepper, bacon, and sliced or chopped onion. Stir together and cook on medium heat until they start to boil then cover and reduce the heat to a simmer and cook until the beans are hot and onions are soft.

*If using a microwave cook for 4-6 minutes.

Recipe and photos by: Julie Hodges

Comments

Popular Posts