DIY Lego Table or 3D Lego Wall Display for under $40



I had an IKEA Lack side table I was going to get rid of. At the time I was working on a play area for my kids so the table gave me an idea. Since it was a square I could easily turn it into a Lego table and for not a lot of money. Lego tables are usually around a $100. I could make one for way less plus it already matched the bookshelves in the play area. The table I used is an IKEA Lack Side Table which I had previous bought new at my local IKEA for $7.99 + tax. For anyone looking to use the same table you can purchase it online just click on my link. It comes in a variety of colors now too. The table is 22x22 so it is the perfect size to turn it into a Lego table because four of the 10 x10 Lego building plates will fit perfectly on it leaving a 3/4 inch boarder all the way around. (You can purchase these for around $4.99 + tax. Amazon sells the Lego Building Plates too. I purchased mine at the local Lego Store.)

I like that the Lack table is made of a cheaper lightweight wood material because if someone tipped it over it would not injury them. It so lightweight that even my kids can move it around. Plus if they break it, I could easily replace it for next to nothing by reusing the 4 Lego building plates and buying another $7.99 table and some adhesive foam tape. Also since it is lightweight and the legs just screw on you can simply add a picture hanging hook, remove the legs, and hang the entire top of the table on the wall with your Lego creations attached and you have 3D Lego wall art. I tried this too.

 If you have your heart set on a fancy piece of furniture any small table will do even a rectangular or circular one it just won't look quite the same.

I made my kid's Lego table about 8 months ago and it still looks new and has held up incredibly. Not a single scratch on it.

Also you could use floor pillows, a kid size set of chairs, or some foot stools to create a comfortable sitting area around the table.

Pictures are of my Lego table and the instructions and supplies are below.










Supplies:








  • adhesive such as adhesive foam tape

  • a picture hanging hook if hanging on wall as 3D Lego Display (optional)
 

  • scissors to cut the foam tape 

Instructions:

  • Take the 4 Lego building plates and lay out the design to figure out placement. Then one at a time flip over and attach the adhesive such as foam tape to one Lego building plate leaving the other ones in place so you don't loose your placement. Attach each board one at a time. Press each one down really well. Glue could also be used but you may not be able to remove the Lego building plates later and also be sure to allow to completely dry before use.

  • If you want to make a Lego 3D wall art display remove the legs and attach a sturdy picture hanging hook and them hang on wall. You can easily reattach the legs later to turn it back  into a table.
























Comments

Popular Posts