Homemade Pan Rolls

This past Thanksgiving, I decided I wanted to find a new roll recipe that I could make for Thanksgiving dinner. While on my search, I discovered this Betty Crocker homemade pan roll recipe and decided to give it a try. It was absolutely delicious! My family said they were really good and tasted like store bought rolls. So I knew the recipe was a keeper and blog worthy. I have made them a few more times since Thanksgiving and my family loves them each time! I even made some last night to go with our pot roast.

A few tips: When making my rolls, I used bread flour although all-purpose will work too. I also used butter instead of margarine. The recipe says you can use either one. I used melted butter in the bowl and on the dough before it was left to rise. Covered it with plastic wrap and placed it in front of my heat vent to rise. I also sprayed my pans with Joy baking spray and when I place the balls of dough into the pan and let them rise I did not recover them like the recipe said. Just keep in mind recipes can be flexible. I also don't think there is a set number of rolls or certain size they should be you can decide how big or small to make them just leave enough space for them to double in size. I didn't leave any space between each roll. If you don't have the exact size pan just use what you have even a pie pan would work. There is no right or wrong. Just bake and enjoy! My son helped me make my rolls so if you have kids get them involved. They will be fascinated by how much the dough rises and will enjoy punching it down.

Pictures are of my rolls and the process of making them. The recipe is below.

Homemade Pan Rolls

recipe by: Betty Crocker
recipe adapted and blogged by: Julie Hodges 

Prep Time: 30 min
Total Time: 2 hr 18 min
Servings: 4
Ingredients:
  • 2 1/2 to 3 cups bread flour or all-purpose
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup shortening(do not melt)
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 package regular or quick active dry yeast
  • 1/2 cup very warm water (120°F to 130°F)
  • 1/2 cup very warm milk (120°F to 130°F)
  • 1 egg
  • Butter or margarine, melted

Directions:

1. Mix 2 cups of the flour, the sugar, shortening, salt and yeast in medium bowl. Add warm water, warm milk and egg. Beat with electric mixer on low speed 1 minute, scraping bowl frequently. Beat on medium speed 1 minute, scraping bowl frequently. Stir in enough remaining flour to make dough easy to handle.
 
2. Turn dough onto lightly floured surface. Knead about 5 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Place in greased bowl and turn greased side up. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in warm place about 1 hour or until double. Dough is ready if indentation remains when touched.

3. Grease bottoms and sides of 2 round pans, 9x1 1/2 inches.

4. Punch down dough. Cut dough in half; cut each half into 24 pieces. Shape into balls. Place close together in pans. Brush with butter. Cover and let rise in warm place about 30 minutes or until double.

5. Heat oven to 400°F.

6. Bake 12 to 18 minutes or until golden brown.

Expert Tips:


“Proofing” is another term for the time that dough spends rising. Successful leavening is “proof” of active yeast.

Any leftover rolls can be frozen in plastic freezer bags. Thaw at room temperature about 2 hours before serving.

Rise to the occasion! If using self-rising flour, there is no need to add salt.

pictures by: Julie Hodges

Comments

Popular Posts