The Best Gluten-Free French Toast

My family does not eat gluten-free but some of our kids friends do. So I try to cater to their dietary needs when they are visiting our home. I developed this gluten-free french toast recipe by accident. My daughter had a friend over who only eats gluten-free food and we had a loaf of Udi's white sandwich bread that never got opened much less eaten so I shoved it into my freezer and forgot about it for a month. When I realized it was still in my freezer, I wasn't sure what to do with it. I thought about what to do with this frozen loaf bread and came up with the idea to make french toast since gluten-free bread has a completely different texture than regular bread with gluten in it. It is a thick almost hard bread making it perfect for french toast. It can be soaked in the cinnamon egg mixture and not fall apart while being tapped on the side of the bowl and carried away to the skillet. I will be honest I have never tasted the Udi bread plain in its original form. I have only tasted it as french toast. All I know is it makes fabulous french toast! So good my family asked me to make it again so I did.

Don't knock it until you try it! You will be pleasantly surprised! It tastes like regular french toast you know the normal gluten kind. It is even better than the one I normally made.

 Just a few tips: Don't forget to dip it in the cinnamon and sugar before cooking. The toast sticks and caramelizes while cooking due to the sugar so be sure not to burn it and to scape off the skillet in between rounds of cooking. Also butter the skillet before placing the toast on each time. It doesn't appear to crisp up but believe me it does so don't cook it too long on each side. It stays crispy longer than most french toast. You can certainly eat it plain but to take it over the top choose a good syrup, sprinkle with powdered sugar, and whip cream such as my homemade vanilla whip cream, also if you really love cinnamon sprinkle a little on top before serving or top with fruit. You decide.

This recipe is something I created. The photos are of my steps and completed french toast. You will find the recipe and photos below.







The Best Gluten-Free French Toast 

recipe by Julie Hodges


Ingredients:
  • 1 loaf  of Udi's gluten-free white sandwich bread (please use this particular bread) frozen
  • 4 XL eggs
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 Tbsp. cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • pinch salt
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 2 Tbsp. melted butter (plus more for cooking)
  • Mix 1/2 cup sugar and 2 Tbsp. cinnamon together for dipping
Directions:

Preheat a griddle or cast iron skillet on medium to medium low heat.

Mix together 1/2 cup sugar and 2 Tbsp. cinnamon in a shallow but wide bowl and set aside for dipping the toast in or sprinkling on each side before cooking. (More maybe needed.)


In a deep bowl, whisk together vigorously 4 XL eggs, 1 tsp. vanilla, 1 tbsp. cinnamon, 1/4 cup sugar, a pinch of salt, 1 cup buttermilk, 2 Tbsp. melted butter. Whisk vigorously until all ingredients are combined and there is a smooth non lumpy texture. Dip one slice of bread at a time into the egg cinnamon mixture flipping on each side. Be sure to tap off the excess liquid before moving to the next step.






Place a small piece of butter in the skillet or on the griddle and allow to melt while dipping the toast that has been placed in the egg cinnamon mixture into the cinnamon and sugar that was reserved earlier or sprinkle it on each side. (Sprinkling seemed to work the best.)



Place the toast on a preheat buttered griddle or cast iron skillet. If using non stick skillet do not preheat for very long but it is still recommended to grease the skillet before cooking the toast. Cook until lightly golden on each side. It doesn't take every long. Be wary of the heat it burns easily adjust accordingly. Be sure to clean and butter the surface between cooking rounds. It doesn't look as crispy as gluten french toast but it definitely is.

 Before flipping
After flipping

 Top with powdered sugar, whip cream, and syrup or sprinkle with cinnamon and/or fruit



photos and recipe by Julie Hodges



Comments

Popular Posts