Homemade White Bread

I found this recipe online and have been saving it so I could eventually test it out. Finally, yesterday I got around to it. I now wish I had tested it a long time ago because it is super delicious! 10 minutes out of the oven and my first loaf was almost completely devoured by my family. I recently started making my own bread. This is my favorite homemade bread recipe thus far is my bread making journey. The bread is so soft and has a hint of a buttery flavor. It will definitely make a delicious sandwich although it is mighty delicious by its self!

I did make a couple of changes to the recipe...I used bread flour instead of all-purpose and honey instead of sugar. I also used bread machine yeast (comes in a glass jar) even though I didn't use a bread machine. I think it works better than the packets. If you use it make sure you refrigerate the leftover yeast. I put the honey in the yeast and water while the yeast was dissolving and foaming up. I also added 1 tablespoon of flour to the yeast mixture. It is something I always do when making bread. It feeds the yeast. Also I only used 5 1/2 cups of flour and then added more as needed while I kneaded the dough. You just have to learn how to know when it is too dry. I do not pack the flour. I spoon it into the measuring cup and fill it nearly to the top but not quite, so in reality I probably used closer to 5 actual cups of flour before adding some when I kneaded the dough. I have found it is best to use the smaller amount first and add more if needed than to try to fix a recipe that has too much flour and is too dry but if this happens to you just add a little more water until the dough is soft and pliable and springs back up when pressed. I used skim milk and unsalted butter.

The recipe is below. The photos are of my bread.













 This is what was left of my 1st loaf just 10 minutes out of the oven. I think it is safe to say my family liked it!



Basic White Sandwich Bread

recipe from:http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-basic-white-sandwich-bread-166588
changes made by Julie Hodges

Makes 2 loaves

Ingredients:

  • 2 teaspoons bread machine yeast
  • 1 cup (8 oz) warm water
  • 2 tablespoons (1 oz) unsalted butter
  • 1 cup (8 oz) milk - whole, 2%, or skim
  • 2 tablespoons honey or white sugar
  • 1 tablespoon salt
  • 5 1/2 - 6 1/2 cups (1 lb 9 oz - 2 lbs 3 oz) bread flour or all-purpose flour
 Directions:

Make sure the water is warm to the touch. If you can't comfortably hold your finger in the water for several seconds, wait for it to cool. Pour the water into the bowl of a standing mixer or large mixing bowl and sprinkle the yeast over top. Add the honey or sugar and 1 Tablespoon of flour. Let this stand for 10-15 minutes until the yeast is dissolved and foamy.

Melt the butter in the microwave. Stir in the milk. Pour 1 cup of flour and the milk mixture over the yeast. Stir until this comes together into a loose, lumpy batter.
Add another 4 1/2 cups of flour, reserving the remaining cup if the dough is sticky during kneading. Stir until a floury, shaggy dough is formed.

Using the dough hook attachment on a standing mixer, knead the dough for 8-10 minutes. Alternatively, knead the dough by hand against the counter. If the dough is bubble-gum sticky against the sides of the bowl or the counter, add extra flour a tablespoon at a time until it is no longer sticky. The dough is kneaded when it is smooth, feels slightly tacky, forms a ball without sagging, and springs back when poked.

Clean out the mixing bowl and film it with a little oil such as extra virgin olive oil. Form the dough into a ball and turn it in the bowl to coat it with oil. Cover the bowl and let the dough rise in a warm spot until doubled in bulk, about one hour.

Sprinkle a little flour on the counter and turn the dough out on top. Divide the dough in two and shape each half into a loose ball. Let the balls rest for 10 minutes.

Grease two loaf pans or film them with non-stick cooking spray. Shape each ball of dough into a loaf (see this tutorial for step-by-step instructions) and transfer to the loaf pans. It's important that the surface of the loaves be stretched taut; this helps them rise and prevents an overly-dense interior. Let the loaves rise a second time until they start to dome over the edge of the pan, 30-40 minutes.
Heat the oven to 425° F about halfway through the second rise.
Slash the tops of the loaves with a serrated knife and put them in the oven. Immediately turn down the heat to 375°F and bake for 30-35 minutes. Finished loaves will be dark golden-brown and sound hollow when tapped on the bottom. Remove the loaves from the pans and let them cool completely before slicing.

Loaves will keep at room temperature for several days. Loaves can also be wrapped in foil and plastic, and frozen for up to three months.



recipe from:http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-basic-white-sandwich-bread-166588
changes made by Julie Hodges
photos by Julie Hodges





Comments

Popular Posts