Sock Monkey Birthday Party, Cake, and Costume

Sock Monkey Birthday Party, Cake, and Costume

My son loves sock monkeys and wanted a sock monkey birthday party which later inspired me to create a sock monkey Halloween costume for him too. I bought some felt sock monkey baskets, clips and stickers from World Market and use them as inspiration for the cake and as part of the party decor. I made chocolate cake and hand carved it and made homemade chocolate frosting, and used fondant for all the pieces. It was super easy to make and he loved it! I shared how I created all the monkey themed things down below. the photos are all of our party, the cake I created, and the costume I made for him.








 

 

 







Sock Monkey Party Decor

by Julie Hodges

Supplies:
  • 5 Sock Monkey baskets
  • 2 pkgs. sock monkey stickers
  • 2 pkgs. sock monkey clips  
  • burlap or burlap runner
  • bag of red felt self adhesive letters (Michaels carries them)
  • a felt banner or create your own with ribbon, felt, and glue (mine was a Christmas banner from Target)
  • monkey hat use as a party hat (Wal-Mart) did have a cute knitted sock monkey hat which I acquired for him for Halloween after his birthday but would have been perfect for this
  • monkey cake 
  • balloons red and white or you could use brown
  • red twine to hang the balloons
  • tape to hang the balloons and wrap the presents double-sided sticky tape is good for this project
  • sock money kraft wrap for presents
I used a piece of burlap to make my own runner. I clipped monkeys across the top of the runner and took apart two of the baskets so I could use the heads on the runner as decorations. They can be laid on or stuck on with double-sided sticky tape. I used the felt letters for his Happy 3rd Birthday on both the banner and runner. I used the monkey stickers for the ! and around the 3rd. I also used the stickers on the hanging banner with the felt letters and on the twine of the balloons. You could also use the stickers on cups, party hats, etc. You could use the wrapping paper to create party hats by wrapping some hats with the paper and using the double sided sticky tape to attach it. we played monkeys in a barrel as a party game.

Sock Monkey Halloween Costume

by Julie Hodges

Supplies:
  • brown jogging suit
  • 3 pairs of Men's brown wool socks
  • knitted sock monkey hat
  • stuffing for the tail
  • a clip for the tail
  • needle and thread to sew the tail
I used the socks to make mittens and covers for his shoes and paired it with a brown jogging suit and knitted sock monkey hat. The shoe covers were created by cutting off the bottom portion of  a pair of socks so that I could put the top parts on his legs like leg warmers and then use the bottom part of the socks over his shoes as covers. I created a tail with a couple of the socks by cutting and sewing them together and stuffing the inside and then I sewed on a clip so it could be clipped to his shirt.


photos and ideas by Julie Hodges

Comments

Popular Posts