Mexican Rice and Spicy Corn

Mexican Rice and Spicy Corn

I created these recipes out of sheer frustration! I kept trying to find rice at the grocery store that was quick and easy to make to serve with Mexican food but I don't like bland rice and the packets of rice I kept buying were fast but lacked flavor so I decided to create my own. I also hated the way the canned fiesta corn tasted. I'm not much of a fan of canned corn to begin with. The great thing about my recipes is you can make it as bland as you want or give it a spicy kick depending on how you like it. The salsa is what makes this rice and corn. It is the key ingredient to great flavor. I like using a medium salsa but if that is too hot for you go for mild or if you want hotter go for the hot salsa or better yet use fresh homemade salsa. Either way you will get rice and corn that has a great flavor. I used Pace Picante Medium Salsa for these recipes. Please don't use canned corn for your spicy corn recipe use frozen or fresh corn. It will taste so much better! After you try my spicy corn and rice you may never want to buy the canned fiesta corn or packets of Mexican rice again! It is soo...good and super easy and fast to make! Both of these recipes work great as a side dish to tacos, fajitas, burritos, enchiladas, and nachos. The photos are of my finished rice and corn. (recipes below)







Mexican Rice

recipe by Julie Hodges


Ingredients:
  • 1 cup Jasmine Rice
  • 3 tablespoons tomato paste
  • 1/2 cup medium salsa (Pace works great)
  • salt
  • pepper
  • 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/2 packet Taco Bell original taco seasoning
  • 2 cups of water
Instructions:

In a pot, place the jasmine rice, water, olive oil, salsa, tomato paste, salt and pepper to taste, and 1/2 packet of taco seasoning. Stir together. Bring to boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer and cover with a lid. Cook until the rice is tender and sticky. (same as any other rice)




Spicy Corn

recipe by Julie Hodges

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup frozen or fresh yellow corn
  • 1/4 cup medium salsa (Pace works great)
  • 4 tablespoons water
  • salt and pepper 
Microwave directions: In a microwavable bowl add corn, then on top of the corn add salsa, water, and salt and pepper to taste. Cook in microwave for 5 minutes on high until corn is hot. Stir before serving.

Stove top directions:
In a small pan add corn and then on top of the corn add salsa, water, salt and pepper to taste and stir together and cook over medium heat until corn is hot. 



I don't measure mine so the measurements are only estimates. You can decide how spicy you like it and use more or less salsa. I prefer medium salsa for this recipe. Just don't add too much water it isn't necessary.


Recipes and photos by Julie Hodges

Comments

Popular Posts